Dharan's own Budha Subba Gold Cup

A  tournament concludes  and  I get to write another  report card.  I reckon you are   vexed   and tired of browsing   through my so called observation at times.

I acknowledge   sometimes my write-ups   get monotonous and predictable as a Hindi movie, and I am guilty of becoming repetitive in terms of addressing the issues related to domestic football.

Trust me, my intentions are not   to   turn off readers   and   scribble words and sentences for the sake of it.  By and large, the issues I embrace are   strictly various   aspects of football, and I try my very best to put things in perspective.

As   a   matter of fact, in the context of Nepali football   one is left with very few options when it comes to relevant   issues. You have no choice but attend to, even if it means picking the same talking points.

For someone like me, whose biggest   passion is   Nepali sports, I cannot stop myself from what I have been doing for long. I am by no   means   an expert of any kind, but that certainly does not disqualify me from putting my thoughts into words.

At least I   have   been   associated   with sports long enough to comprehend, especially   Nepali sports inside and out. Let me be straight and clear, my motive is not self -serving.

My priorities  are  getting to the truth and  talking about those (athletes, coaches,  officials, organizations, clubs, individuals, groups and many more) dedicated to  the cause of sports.  

Although I live thousands kilometers across the pond, I  continue  to figuratively   criss-cross  the  playing fields  across the country.

Let me get back to talking  about football. Obviously,  the subject is  Dharan’s  own premier tournament Budha Subba Gold Cup  that concluded not long ago.

After a long wait star-studded Three Star  Club(TSC)  was able to   rule the roost  in the 14th   edition of the championship .

A new look Manang Marsyangdhi Club (MMC) aiming for a spectacular hat-trick of titles just fell short in the final against  their arch-rival  by a solitary goal.

Played in front of   packed galleries the Lalitpur outfit looking for their   first title in two years had the last laugh in an evenly contested  final. The winning goal came off the boot of international Santosh Sahukhala.

Man of the match  Kiran Chemzong (TSC) played a pivotal role in his team’s victory.  On the other hand, MMC  had to pay the price for  not taking one of their chances. Nonetheless, they  did  well to reach the final.

It was a very important win for TSC, considering the fact that they had gone  sans a major trophy for close to two years. The success should rejuvenate and invigorate the outfit that seemed lost in the woods.

No doubt it is a promising start to the new season. And if they manage to put  and hold things together and play consistently this might be their year.

National League champions Nepal Police   had a   disappointing outing, losing to MMC in the second round. Former international Hari Khadka  in the role of  interim coach is yet to taste success.   

Budha Subba   Gold Cup   has   been   chugging   along   steadily for the last fourteen years, and more importantly, it has firmly established itself as one of the top notch   competitions in the country.

Dharan Football Club  has  been doing  a  commendable  job of organizing the tournament, and they have in no little way  contributed immensely in  the promotion of  football at the regional and national level.

Dharan has a strong sporting tradition and is blessed with a large and supportive population. As  evidenced by the record turnout  for the tourney  , the locals’ love and passion for football is phenomenal.

The 14th edition of Budha  Subba  did attract some of the best teams in the country, but a few prominent names were missing. The choice of foreign outfits should have been better  in terms of quality .

The   organizer must broaden  the  appeal of  the competition  to its fan base. Otherwise, overtime its impact can diminish.

Aside from entertainment value, a tournament of Budha Subba  stature  can better serve its purpose with a  more pragmatic and ambitious approach. I am very confident that the organizer can do it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nepal must have killer instinct to beat India

Nepal needs optimum effort against Yemen

Nepal needs to put on a fighting performance against against Vietnam